Horncastle 2 14/01/18

Sunday saw a tired boro side take a two hour drive up to Horncastle to try and retain their unbeaten streak and keep themselves at the top of the table.

The game started with Wellingborough dominating for the first 20 minutes. After many well worked attacks, a clear penalty stroke that wasn't given, and some great saves from the Horncastle keeper, Boro finally broke the deadlock through captain Simon Morrissey. After a penalty corner attempt, the keeper saved the initial shot but failed to clear the danger, the ball fell to the boro skipper leaving him with a composed finish into the back of the net. 1-0 Wellingborough.

The rest of the first half saw Steve Keal-Frayne and Matt Bicknell making some great runs upfront keeping the pressure on the Horncastle defence. Eventually Horncastle broke through, only to waste their opportunity and send the ball miles wide of the post.

Just before half time, the game heated up after a "clean" sliding challenge from Luke "goalkeeper" Oakley, leaving the Horncastle forward to mend his dislocated shoulder on the playing field.

After a tough few minutes the knackered boro side went in the the half time break 1-0 up.

The second half started with more composure from boro however the fatigue set an again quickly and the game started to become scrappy. With some great defending from Paul smith, luke Oakley and Ryan Scott. Boro held off a handful of attacks from the hungry Horncastle side.

After a tough battle from left winger Kai (insert surname here), making his debut for wellingborough, the ball fell to Simon morrissey to throw and aerial ball over to Baillie leaving the ball mid air coming into the D, with Baillie poised to strike it on the volley there was only ever gonna be one outcome.........he screamed it wide of the post and wasted a perfect chance to put the game to bed.

After 70 minutes of a tough battle, the Wellingborough side were pleased to hear the final whistle and continue their unbeaten run at the top!

Next week sees them face St Ives at Wrenn where they hope to carry on their streak.


Follow us online and see what we're up to right now!